Methodical and organised was the approach to this quilt.
It all started when I was playing with some left over diamonds and squares on the carpet. After I left my little simple arrangement where it was, my no.2 son walked past and asked if I minded him playing with them. He just can't resist a possible play with tessellating shapes.
This is what he did.
It's not so easy to see but these were the blueprints. From here I started cutting more diamonds and squares and slowly the picture became clearer.
Dare I say, no one was allowed to walk on the carpet for a couple of days until I had cut every shape out.
There are no normal blocks in this quilt. I worked out that it was made up from a few shapes. The main shape was this pod.
There were edges and corners.
And sets of red squares.
I collected all the sets of pods and clipped them together.
There were about 20 sets of red squares and 12 edges.
I had to draw on the back of every patch with 1/4" lines so that I could line everything up.
It's still not finished and I am undecided whether to put on some extra borders because it is quite small but I am really happy with the final result.
I think I may cut out some more shapes and just leave them lying around. You never know who might pick them up to play with.