Anyway, I didn't get such a positive response from my family so I put the quilt away to think about. I decided to have another look at it today and bought a lovely chocolate brown variegated fabric to back it with. I also bought some yellow Kaffe Fassett fabric to finish another quilt. That's now complete as well.
Next job was to finish the Moonbeam baby dolls I had started at the market.
Done - sewn and ready for stuffing.
So at last I was able to work in earnest on my nieces' quilt. 28 patches made and 14 to go.
Now to clean up the mess the storm has made. The hail stones made holes in our porch roof and water poured into our family room through the doors. The volume of water was just too much for the down pipes. At least the garden looks happy.