The shapes turned out pretty easy to cut because although Kaffe's book used templates, they were easily cut using a rotary cutter.
This is his quilt:
And here is the first part of mine because I haven't put the border on yet:
I'm really happy with it so far. When I started placing it all down on the floor I realised that I had to sew it all together as it lay on the floor because I would never remember where all the pieces went. I pinned a block and sewed it and then worked on the next block. There was a fair amount of unpicking too as I mixed sides up. I got through 3/4 yesterday and finished it just now. I forgot that my family is coming over for dinner tonight and the carpet I work on is actually where we move the dining table to so it all had to be finished today.